St. Patrick’s Cathedral has more than two-hundred individuals who volunteer in a wide variety of ways. This vibrant part of our community plays an instrumental role in helping the Cathedral to meet the high demand placed on us by the more than five million visitors a year who come to St. Patrick’s.
Some of the volunteer opportunities include:
- Tour Guide - Conduct tours of the Cathedral throughout the year for groups and individuals. Generally, tours are conducted Monday through Friday around the Mass schedule. Most often, tours are led between 9:00AM - 11:00AM and 1:30PM - 4:30PM.
- Lector - We welcome volunteer lectors at most weekday and Sunday Masses. Prior experience is helpful.
- Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion - At many Masses, Eucharistic Ministers assist in distributing Holy Communion. You must be Catholic and have been certified.
- Minister of Hospitality - Because of the large volume of attendees at the Sunday 10:15AM Mass and at other special liturgies and events, volunteers are needed to distribute programs and help with seating.
- Minister of Altar Service - The Cathedral is blessed to receive flowers from visitors on a regular basis. Volunteers are needed to care for the flowers placed at side altars.
- Information Desk - Most of our five million visitors enter via the 5th Avenue entrances. The Information Desk is staffed by volunteers who provide information about the Cathedral and its history as well as the surrounding area to visitors from all over the world.
The amount of time and the frequency of your volunteer hours can depend on your personal circumstance. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact Peter J. Fitton, Director of Volunteer Services at 212-753-2261. ext.707. Please complete the Volunteer Application by clicking here.